Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Suprising Find in the Attic or A Look At Vintage Patterns

Earlier this week I ventured into my parent's attic, hoping to find more vintage items to put up for sale. As I did this, I found a box of patterns...lots of patterns.
While looking through this box, I noticed some that were enclosed in a plastic pack, they looked old and torn.
I check out the pattern only to find that it was one of my grandmother's patterns she used back in the fifties, even the pattern was a classic 50's design. I was amazed!
Photobucket

Of course, I had to be sure of what it was.
It is a McCall's pattern number 4971 from 1959.
Photobucket

The pattern was quite tattered, most of the envelope had disintegrated, but the actual pattern pieces were still usable. Of course I would never use this pattern, it is best left alone. I'm sure it made many a beautiful dress, especially if it was my grandmother's hands sewing it together.
Photobucket

There is even a name written on the front of the envelope, no doubt my grandmother naming who the finished dress was meant for. She made so many clothes for her family and friends, and still does!

One thing I HAD to do was open up the instruction leaflet, it was in extremely good condition, no tears or tattered pieces save for the ones on the folds, it wasn't even rigid from oxidation.
So I checked out the pattern layout and was surprised that the pattern pieces were relatively simple for such a popular style of dress.
Photobucket

There were more patterns I found of similar design, a lovely Vogue pattern then another in a Jacqueline Kennedy-esque style.
After looking at the McCall's pattern, I didn't want to open up any others.
Photobucket

Seeing this pretty much brought me back to the time my grandmother taught me how to hand sew, I was not aware back then that I would use these skills and put them to projects and designs of my own at this age.
I'm so grateful for that. Sewing is what my grandmother loves to do, there are still many more patterns that she has, some have been given to my mother, there is one box...but that isn't even scratching the surface of the amount of patterns my grandmother really has.
Photobucket

No comments: